“Wisteria” table lamp with leaded stained glass shade on a bronze base.
Base stamped TIFFANY STUDIOS NEW YORK 7806
Height: 27 in (68.6 cm)
Shade diameter: 18 in (45.7 cm)
The Holtzman Collection, Some Decorative Arts of the Tiffany Studios, Pennsylvania:
Holtzman, 1989, p. 35 (similar lamp illustrated).
Robert Koch, Louis C. Tiffany’s Glass, Bronzes, Lamps: A Complete Collector’s Guide, New
York: Crown, 1971, pp. 125 and 131 (similar lamp illustrated).
Henry Winter, The Dynasty of Louis Comfort Tiffany, Boston: Winter, pp. 127 and 184 (similar
Alastair Duncan, Tiffany Lamps and Metalware: An Illustrated Reference to Over 2000
Models, China: Antique Collector’s Club, 2007, p. 67 and 505 (similar lamp illustrated).
Robert Koch, Louis C. Tiffany: Rebel in Glass, New York: Crown, 1962, plate V (similar lamp
Louis Comfort Tiffany began the first incarnation of Tiffany Studios, then called Louis C. Tiffany & Co., Associated Artists, in 1879. The company, known by a few other names throughout the years, produced small objects, desk sets, favrile glass pieces, and, most famously, stained glass lamps. Production of these objects continued for three years after the death of Louis C. Tiffany, with operations completely ceasing in 1936.
These stained glass table and floor lamps are highly sought after by collectors, museums, and other institutions. Due to the fragility of the glass and the metal shortage the Second World War (during which innumerable shades were destroyed for the lead), there are not as many extant lamps as were made in the early twentieth century.