A Lotus Pagoda lamp with an umbrella-shaped shade resembling fronds in colors of green and tan, on a library standard base, featuring a grooved circular foot and narrow pipe, with three arms.
Shade number 1524; base number 374.
Signed on shade Tiffany Studios New York
Signed on base 28749 Tiffany Studios New York
Height: 32 ½ in (82.5 cm)
Diameter of shade: 26 ½ in (67.4 cm)
Diameter of base: 11 ½ in (29.3 cm)
Alastair Duncan, Tiffany Lamps and Metalware: An Illustrated Reference to Over 2,000 Models, China: Antique Collectors' Club, 2007, pp. 78, figure 302; 92, figure 369; 161, figure 663 (similar shades illustrated); 78, figure 303 (similar base illustrated); 519 (reference to shade); and 506 (reference to base).
Robert Koch, Louis C. Tiffany: Rebel in Glass, New York: Crown, 1962, plate V (similar model illustrated).
Robert Koch, Louis C. Tiffany’s Glass, Bronzes, Lamps: A Complete Collector’s Guide, New York: Crown, 1971, pp. 124 (similar model illustrated) and 184 (reference to shade number 1524 in the price list of 1906).
Louis Comfort Tiffany began the first incarnation of Tiffany Studios, then called Louis C. Tiffany & Co., Associated Artists, in 1879. The company, known by a few other names throughout the years, produced small objects, desk sets, favrile glass pieces, and, most famously, stained glass lamps. Production of these objects continued for three years after the death of Louis C. Tiffany, with operations completely ceasing in 1936.
These stained glass table and floor lamps are highly sought after by collectors, museums, and other institutions. Due to the fragility of the glass and the metal shortage the Second World War (during which innumerable shades were destroyed for the lead), there are not as many extant lamps as were made in the early twentieth century.